Friday, January 25, 2013

Quick Takes: Why I'm Pro-Life

At the time that this post publishes, I will be en-route to Washington, D.C. for the annual March for Life. In honor of this event, I give you "7 Quick Takes: Why I'm Pro-Life"
[1] "A person's a person no matter how small."
Dr. Seuss was very wise. And like he/Horton said, no matter the size of a human, they're still a human. Stage in development does not negate personhood.

[2] Abortion is the purposeful killing of another human being.
We have laws against murder. When asked, people will tell you that the reason is because it is not right for you to willfully kill someone else. Since we've established that an unborn child is indeed human, and the ending of a human's life is immoral, then why is it deemed acceptable?

[3] Abortion is bad for women.
Women who have abortions are seven times more likely to commit suicide, are four times more likely to have repeat abortions, and have a significantly increased risk of breast and cervical cancer. And women are still dying from having abortions...in fact, one young woman died a few months ago at an abortion clinic in Chicago. So much for a simple, safe procedure.

[4] I believe in the sanctity of life.
Similar to [1], but biologists agree that life begins at conception...that's a FACT. We all talk in terms of "beliefs" and it is true that you must believe in something in order to be passionate about it; just knowing the facts isn't enough. I know that life begins at conception and I believe that we should respect life from beginning to end.

[5] There's no such thing as an "unwanted child".
Just because the mother of a child might not desire to parent doesn't mean that there aren't people out there who wouldn't love to call that child their own. I don't have a statistic handy, but I believe that it is still true that there are more couples seeking adoption than there are babies to go around.

[6] Everyone deserves the chance at life.
No matter what predetermined conditions or disabilities a child might be born into/with, they still should have a chance at life. Let's face it, life is tough. It's really hard and it's really sucky sometimes. But it's also full of beauty and joy and pleasure. There's no doubt that it would be difficult growing up homeless or fatherless or with a disability. But I would venture to say that even people born into the aforementioned situations have still been happy at some point in their life. Every life is worth living, no matter what others might think.

[7] Babies are beautiful!
To quote one of my good friends and new daddy to a beautiful baby girl,
"I don't know how anyone could say that they don't want kids. I have friends who say that they hate kids. They have no idea what they're missing."
Sure, maybe not everyone is cut out to be a parent, but that doesn't give those who don't desire parenthood to kill their unborn child.

In summation (I feel like I'm back in college...), I'm pro-life and darn proud of it. Sometimes it's hard to see progress in the movement, but being that this is a movement like the civil-rights movement, I am confident that abortion will end. It may not be as soon as we hope, but someday it will be but a sad, distant memory.
I mean really, how can you resist that face?!

Have a great weekend and head on over to Jen's more more takes!

2 comments:

  1. BRAVA!!! Love you for your passionate quest to save the babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could barely focus on your points due to the very distracting and ADORABLE babies!

    ReplyDelete

Be my friend and leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...